Thursday, October 21, 2010

Maus Pt Numbero Dos and Rabbi's Cat

I did already comment on Carlyfries comment lower, which may have some of the same stuff as this regarding mouse, but not much since I already went into slight detail on it.  The character's strained relationship with his father seems most shocking to me.  The part that really got to me for some reason was when the focus shifts from when it's supposed to be on the holocaust and instead shifts to his relationship with his father.  It was like Art was living in the shadow of a brother that never existed every day of his life.  I wonder if he felt any amount of major anguish from that, because I know I would.  I think that's why he seems to have cut his father off from him at some point.  But the switch amazed me.  Whereas in my last post where I was taking some of the fatherly moments for granted and trying to pay attention to the holocaust memoir part, now I'm suddenly reading it for the father-son relationship.   I thought it was absolutely brilliant from both perspectives.  Maus I and II really blew me away in total with the depth of the storyline and plot.   I very much enjoyed the way Spiegelman intertwined so many different storylines and clarity into the text.  Very good read, overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment