Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maus

I find few things more interesting than the Jewish Holocaust of World War 2.  I don't know why, maybe it's due to the extreme loss of life and maleficent corruption of the Nazis during the time, or the general idea of the will power of man to survive those accosting events.  Either way, Maus intrigues me for a different reason.  The way it depicts the story of a father-son relationship, as strained as it already is, while it continues to become more and more tense is truly beautiful.  These stories of the father surviving the Holocaust are not the highlight of this book.  I didn't realize that the first time I read it through.  But upon rereading it with the perspective of the stress in their lives, especially with the last line saying "Murderer," I can see the greatness in this writing.  It is every son's dream to be able to live up to the standards of his father, and to be as great a man as he views his father to be.  But here is a father-son story where the son almost despises the father because of his irresponsibility apparent malice for the son's birth mother.  Essentially the way I see it, Art views his father as the man that killed his mother even though she took her own life.  He felt like he was a major contributor towards that unfortunate event.  The writing and storytelling are superb and I truly cannot wait to see the way it plays out on Maus II.

And because she's awesome, here's a shout out to Carlyfries and her lack of smelly breath.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait...change that. In the Prisoner on the Hell Planet, the character states, "You've murdered me mommy and you have left me here to take the rap!!!" What, Coheed Kilgannon, do you make of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think that he took it internally and thought that he was abandoned by his father. But he always has been abandoned by his father emotionally and mentally because if his father's memories of Richeu. Art, or the character, learns to love his brother he didn't know I think as well, which is why the second book was dedicated to him. This happens even though he knows his detached relationship to their father was because of him. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He blamed it on his mom though, not his dad.

    ReplyDelete